20 May 2013 150 The United Nations has commended the work carried out by the Bangladeshi Government ahead of tropical storm Mahasen, which hit the country last Thursday, noting it saved thousands of lives. "While tropical storm Mahasen reached the coastline of Bangladesh on Thursday weaker than anticipated, the preparedness work undertaken by the Government and humanitarian partners saved ...
collapse of the Rana Plaza building on more than 1,000 workers, which made it the deadliest ever catastrophe in the history of the garment industry. Last November, a garment factory fire killed more than 100 people. So the tannery worker’s assessment sounds like a sick joke. But the truth is it was a realistic assessment of the deplorable health and safety conditions in Bangladesh. ...
BRIEF-Gap CEO says has not given up that a global bangladesh safety accord of some kind can be worked out
CHICAGO | Tue May 21, 2013 2:01pm EDT CHICAGO May 21 (Reuters) - Gap Inc : * CEO says has "not given up" that a global bangladesh safety accord of some kind can be worked out * CEO says ready to sign existing accord led by industriall with some "very minor ...
The High Court in Bangladesh’s capital has asked authorities to prevent the owner of a garment factory where 112 people died in a fire last year from leaving the country, a lawyer said. The High Court made the request in response to a petition seeking the arrest of Delwar Hossain, the owner of Tazreen Fashions Ltd. It also asked authorities to bring Hossain before the court on May 30. No ...
The Fire Within (Le feu follet) [DVD]
While Louis Malle is often associated with the French New Wave, largely because of the young age at which he made his first feature (he was in his early 20s) and the time period when he started making films (the late 1950s), he was always just outside that movement. Unlike Truffaut, G ... ...
Limbs International, an El Paso not-for-profit organization which helps leg amputees in Third World countries, plans to provide prosthetics to victims of the Boston Marathon bombing and victims of a garment factory collapse in Bangladesh, it announced Monday. The organization is ready to provide its Limbs Relief Knee, a durable, plastic, low-cost, artificial knee used as part of a ...
announced plans to improve safety conditions in factories that supply its clothing, the New York Times reported. Although H&M was the first company to make this pledge, other major European retailers, including Carrefour, Marks & Spencer and Inditex, parent of the huge Zara brand, are following its lead. It's "setting the stage for an industry-wide collaboration to improve ...
trends to task. He posits that it is the job of domestic governments to regulate safety and that corporations muddle their goals by worrying about the environment, sustainability and community. But there are several capitalistic arguments in favor of business enterprises voluntarily adopting many of the principles entailed in Corporate Social Responsibility (hiring the best people for the job ...
Bangladesh that killed more than 1,000 people, and for some it means they'll probably buy fewer goods made in the country. Among those who learned of the deaths, 39 percent said they would probably buy fewer products produced in Bangladesh, according to a survey by Harris Poll of more than 2,000 adults from May 14-16. Women are more likely to change shopping habits than men, 42 ...
Bangladesh will recommend that nine people detained in connection with the disaster be sentenced to life in prison, the panel's chief said on Tuesday. The six-member committee, due to submit its conclusions to the government on Thursday, has singled out shoddy construction and the improper issue of building permits as the main reasons for the accident which killed more than 1,100 ...
They said it
Nothing will ever completely replace playing the game I love, however I feel like I'm starting a new adventure and I'm genuinely excited about what lies ahead. I'm fortunate to have been given many opportunities throughout my career and now I feel it's my time to give back.
The world's best known footballer was speaking after formally announcing his retirement.
The Plaza, New York City
The Plaza had two entrances, both attended by a Concierge. On arrival my car was greeted enthusiastically with assistance with ...Keep reading
Record Your Vote
Do you take the threat of North Korea seriously?
Bangladesh SunBangladesh Sun - Authoritative Bangladesh News Source
Newspapers the world over strive to provide readers with the ultimate news coverage.
The Bangladesh Sun is no exception.
As an online news service we have advantages over traditional newspapers in that stories can be added and updated 24 hours day.
Our objective is to provide the most comprehensive Bangladesh news available, from our resources, contracted wire services and an inventory of some thousands of sources comprising newspapers, cable and TV networks, radio stations, public broadcasters, NGOs and others, Bangladesh news is a priority.
National news comes first. We do however strive to provide a complete news services for our readers. World news headlines top several of our pages, we also provide news on what's happening in business, and in the financial markets.
Whether it's the latest Nikkei 225 reading in Tokyo, the sterling exchange rate in London, or the status of the Nasdaq in New York, whether it's local Bangladesh news, the weather forecast for Bangladesh you'll find it all in the Bangladesh Sun.
From Dhaka to Chattagam, the Bangladesh Sun should be your number one choice for breaking news - local, regional, and national.
- Morgan Stanley to sell Indian private banking arm to StanChart
- A-shares up gains moderate
- PRECIOUS-Gold trims losses as euro firms ahead of Bernanke testimony
- HKEx preparing to launch CES 120 derivative
- Asian markets end on mixed note
- Lioness dies due to stomach and lung infection near Gir Wildlife sanctuary
- Horse racing Purebred Arabian horses are racing onto world stage
- Opinion Global action against illegal wildlife trade is welcome
- Man pleads guilty to fatally stabbing Bears fan
- Justin Bieber’s pet monkey becomes ‘German’
- VMware launches network-savvy cloud service
- Texas Emerging Technology Fund slated to get $50M
- Researchers Find Critical Vulnerabilities in Popular Game Engines
- Newsles secret Names make news and get funding
- 110 Tower launches last phase of $15M renovation
- Michelle Keegan doesnt understand her sex symbol status
- Venus Jupiter and Mercury will dance in spring twilight
- The Art And Science Of Motivation
- From space video of deadly Oklahoma twisters
- Rude Dog taking over Knotty Pine space near Grandview Heights
- Government pours scorn on new round of US hacking accusations
- UK government plans to boost British fund industry
- UPDATE 1-Denso execs to plead guilty to price fixing in Toyota case
- Tech Mahindra Q4 net up 25 at Rs 377.24 crore
- Sensex at 1-week low down 112 pts
- Actavis buying Warner Chilcott in $8.5bn deal
- Lexington company run by UK pharmacy professor gets $3 million grant
- Growing medicines in plantsrequires new regulations
- AcelRx Pain Treatment Meets Late-Stage Study Goals
- XenoPort MS Treatment Fails in Late-Stage Testing
Subscribe to our Newsletter
Get the latest Bangladesh Sun headlines delivered to your inbox.
- Did witty Li score brownie points over India
- UN praises Bangladeshs preparedness response to tropical storm Mahasen
- Bangladesh’s other workplace catastrophes
- BRIEF-Gap CEO says has not given up that a global bangladesh safety accord of some kind can be worked out
- Court Seeks to Bar Factory Owner from Leaving Bangladesh