Bangladesh offers the global garment industry something unique: Millions of workers who quickly churn out huge amounts of well-made underwear, jeans and T-shirts for the lowest wages in the world. But since a building collapse April 24 killed at least 1,100 garment workers in Bangladesh in one of the deadliest industrial tragedies in history, the country has gone from one of the industry's ...
Introduction: 1. Bangladesh has been ruled alternately by two women for more than two decades. Both the Prime Minister and the Leader of the Opposition are women, and the posts have been held by women since the 1990s. The country's parliament has more than sixty female members and several of them are members of the cabinet. There are a considerable number of women serving in the ...
Gap Inc. got an earful Tuesday during its annual shareholder meeting about not living up to its reputation as a socially responsible company. The San Francisco retailer (NYSE: GPS) received over 20,000 calls and plenty of hate mail from disgruntled customers around the world who are angry over its failure to sign onto an international agreement calling for building safety in Bangladesh, where ...
Members of Workers United and others protest outside a Gap store in response to a garment factory collapse in Bangladesh that killed over 1,100 workers, in Chicago, May 9, 2013. (NATHAN ...
With Shooter, Antoine Fuqua has officially become the master of politically confused action movies. You got a sense of it in one of his better films, Training Day (2001), which started out as a taut depiction of police corruption, but devolved by the end into an overwrought horrors ... ...
Bangladesh rescue nears end, death toll at 1127 Budgetfashion retailer Primark says it will provide short-term financial assistance to all victims and families affected by the collapse of the Rana Plaza building in Bangladesh last month, while the clothing industry continues to formulate a long-term compensation plan. The collapse of the building, where clothes were made for various ...
collapse of the Rana Plaza building on more than 1,000 workers, which made it the deadliest ever catastrophe in the history of the garment industry. Last November, a garment factory fire killed more than 100 people. So the tannery worker’s assessment sounds like a sick joke. But the truth is it was a realistic assessment of the deplorable health and safety conditions in Bangladesh. ...
BRIEF-Gap CEO says has not given up that a global bangladesh safety accord of some kind can be worked out
CHICAGO | Tue May 21, 2013 2:01pm EDT CHICAGO May 21 (Reuters) - Gap Inc : * CEO says has "not given up" that a global bangladesh safety accord of some kind can be worked out * CEO says ready to sign existing accord led by industriall with some "very minor ...
The High Court in Bangladesh’s capital has asked authorities to prevent the owner of a garment factory where 112 people died in a fire last year from leaving the country, a lawyer said. The High Court made the request in response to a petition seeking the arrest of Delwar Hossain, the owner of Tazreen Fashions Ltd. It also asked authorities to bring Hossain before the court on May 30. No ...
Limbs International, an El Paso not-for-profit organization which helps leg amputees in Third World countries, plans to provide prosthetics to victims of the Boston Marathon bombing and victims of a garment factory collapse in Bangladesh, it announced Monday. The organization is ready to provide its Limbs Relief Knee, a durable, plastic, low-cost, artificial knee used as part of a ...
They said it
Nothing will ever completely replace playing the game I love, however I feel like I'm starting a new adventure and I'm genuinely excited about what lies ahead. I'm fortunate to have been given many opportunities throughout my career and now I feel it's my time to give back.
The world's best known footballer was speaking after formally announcing his retirement.
The Plaza, New York City
The Plaza had two entrances, both attended by a Concierge. On arrival my car was greeted enthusiastically with assistance with ...Keep reading
Record Your Vote
Do you take the threat of North Korea seriously?
Bangladesh SunBangladesh Sun - Authoritative Bangladesh News Source
Newspapers the world over strive to provide readers with the ultimate news coverage.
The Bangladesh Sun is no exception.
As an online news service we have advantages over traditional newspapers in that stories can be added and updated 24 hours day.
Our objective is to provide the most comprehensive Bangladesh news available, from our resources, contracted wire services and an inventory of some thousands of sources comprising newspapers, cable and TV networks, radio stations, public broadcasters, NGOs and others, Bangladesh news is a priority.
National news comes first. We do however strive to provide a complete news services for our readers. World news headlines top several of our pages, we also provide news on what's happening in business, and in the financial markets.
Whether it's the latest Nikkei 225 reading in Tokyo, the sterling exchange rate in London, or the status of the Nasdaq in New York, whether it's local Bangladesh news, the weather forecast for Bangladesh you'll find it all in the Bangladesh Sun.
From Dhaka to Chattagam, the Bangladesh Sun should be your number one choice for breaking news - local, regional, and national.
- Morgan Stanley to sell Indian private banking arm to StanChart
- Oil prices decline as dollar advances
- Wall Street rises on Fed officials dovish remarks with Dow SP refreshing new records
- Gold falls ahead of Bernankes congressional testimony
- Japan stocks climb Mitsubishi Motors Sony jump
- Lioness dies due to stomach and lung infection near Gir Wildlife sanctuary
- Senior official details Chinas wildlife protection efforts
- Woman Caught on Cam Leaving Kittens at Pet Inc.
- Seized dogs in alleged puppy mill being treated suspect arrested
- Puppy Mill bust brings cry for tougher animal cruelty laws
- AusCERT 2013 NBN users need security professionals’ help says Google
- IBMs Watson From game shows to game changer in the enterprise
- Avid delays filing gets second Nasdaq warning
- Construction challenges Venturas Gateway Village shopping center businesses
- Apple denies tax gimmicks amid US pressure
- Michelle Keegan doesnt understand her sex symbol status
- Venus Jupiter and Mercury will dance in spring twilight
- 5 Tornado Myths Busted
- Opposing stances on science research
- London Ont. sex offender escapes again
- Pfizer discontinues NHL cancer drug development
- Actavis buying Warner Chilcott in $8.5bn deal
- French Drugmaker on Trial Suspected in Deaths
- Planning for CVS Pharmacy at Howe and Fair Oaks
- Lexington company run by UK pharmacy professor gets $3 million grant
Subscribe to our Newsletter
Get the latest Bangladesh Sun headlines delivered to your inbox.
- Did witty Li score brownie points over India
- Leaving Bangladesh Not an easy choice.
- Bangladesh Justice System Compounds Violence Against Women
- Gaps annual meeting overshadowed by Bangladesh safety accord
- Gap willing to sign Bangladesh safety accord but only if tweaked