In a major policy change, Bangladesh will allow India ferry foodgrains for the mountainous northeastern states via its territory, a Tripura minister said here. "Initially, the Bangladesh government has agreed to transport 10,000 tonnes of foodgrains for Tripura through its territory," Tripura Food and Civil Supplies Minister Bhanulal Saha told IANS. "The Bangladesh government issued necessary ...
DHAKA, Bangladesh -; Police say opposition activists have set off homemade bombs and smashed several vehicles in Bangladesh's capital as they enforce a general strike demanding that Prime Minister Sheikh Hasina resign before general ...
A woman cries as she sticks a poster of a a family member on the wall of a school turned makeshift morgue for Rana Plaza victims. Bhuiyan said MIB and other large companies with which he is familiar comply with international labor laws, but even for bigger companies, that isn’t easy."There is a tremendous pressure to maintain the minimum level of compliance," he said. "You ...
The Bangladesh Cricket Board (BCB) is mulling the introduction of an anti-corruption law with the help of the law ministry to combat ill practices in Bangladesh cricket. The board's move came after the Indian government announced it would formulate a ...
Few, if any, similarities exist between the redactions of the Benghazi e-mails and the deletions and distortions made by Richard Nixon in his taped ...
Straw Dogs (2011)
Sam Peckinpahs Straw Dogs (1971) was one of the most controversial films of its era, primarily because its complex depictions of the extremities of human violence were largely misunderstood, fueled in no small part by the directors own penchant for goading his critics and purpos ... ...
The disaster showed the terrible working conditions, and lack of safety, for millions of workers there. Both Bangladesh and the global community are coming to terms with their roles in the disaster, because whether consumers shop at Walmart or at Giorgio Armani, the clothes they buy are probably produced in Bangladesh, which is ranks number two in the world for garment ...
At least 17 people were killed and about 30 others injured as a goods laden truck and a night passenger bus collided head on in Bangladesh's Shajahanpur sub- district of Bogra district, 197 km northwest of the capital Dhaka, on Thursday morning.Police was quoted by private news agency UNB as saying that the Dhaka bound truck collided head on with the passenger bus, leaving 11 passengers ...
More than a thousand people died because of one man - as an official inquiry into last month's garment factory collapse in Bangladesh blamed the owner for violating building codes. Many of the victims are now seeking compensation. But some workers might not receive a penny. It's been reported that their ID cards were confiscated when they got their final pay packets. ITV's ...
They said it
We must define the nature and scope of this struggle, or else it will define us. Neither I, nor any President can promise the total defeat of terror. What we must do is dismantle networks that pose a direct danger.
The U.S. president was speaking on his administration's counter terrorism policy.
Hilton Waikoloa Village Resort
Only 20 miles from Kono International Airport on the Big Island of Hawaii. Access is easy, just turn left at ...Keep reading
Record Your Vote
The Boy Scouts of America National Council has resolved to accept gay members. Do you agree with this policy?
Bangladesh SunBangladesh Sun - Authoritative Bangladesh News Source
Newspapers the world over strive to provide readers with the ultimate news coverage.
The Bangladesh Sun is no exception.
As an online news service we have advantages over traditional newspapers in that stories can be added and updated 24 hours day.
Our objective is to provide the most comprehensive Bangladesh news available, from our resources, contracted wire services and an inventory of some thousands of sources comprising newspapers, cable and TV networks, radio stations, public broadcasters, NGOs and others, Bangladesh news is a priority.
National news comes first. We do however strive to provide a complete news services for our readers. World news headlines top several of our pages, we also provide news on what's happening in business, and in the financial markets.
Whether it's the latest Nikkei 225 reading in Tokyo, the sterling exchange rate in London, or the status of the Nasdaq in New York, whether it's local Bangladesh news, the weather forecast for Bangladesh you'll find it all in the Bangladesh Sun.
From Dhaka to Chattagam, the Bangladesh Sun should be your number one choice for breaking news - local, regional, and national.
In a major policy change, Bangladesh will allow India ferry foodgrains for the mountainous northeastern states via its territory, a Tripura minister said here.
"Initially, the Bangladesh government has agreed to transport 10,000 tonnes of foodgrains for Tripura through its territory," Tripura Food and Civil Supplies Minister Bhanulal Saha told IANS.
"The Bangladesh government issued necessary orders earlier this week following a series of diplomatic and other parleys. After some security-related clearance, the carrying of food grains, mainly rice and wheat, is likely to start within a month," he added.
B.K. Roy, principal secretary, food and civil supplies, said that after getting a green signal from Dhaka, FCI (the Food Corporation of India) had initiated the process to transport food grains and essentials using the Bangladeshi river port in eastern Bangladesh and the roadways connected to the northeastern states.
The FCI had earlier floated tenders to select the transporters. In the first consignment, 10,000 tonnes of rice, wheat and sugar would be ferried to Tripura from West Bengal's Haldia port via the Ashuganj port.
"After Tripura, foodgrains would be ferried through Bangladesh for other northeastern states, including Mizoram, Manipur and southern Assam to save time and costs," a FCI official said. ...
- Move Over Japanese Yen Make Way For Chinas Yuan
- Asian Markets Weekly Update Fed Fears and Weak Chinese Factory Data Fuel Sell-Off
- Kobe Steel mulls shutting blast furnace in western Japan -Nikkei
- China stocks plunge on US debt train crash
- Gold dips slightly ahead of 3-day holiday weekend
- Adults can learn just like kids
- Monkey teeth give clues on when Neanderthal baby was weaned
- Lions Gate Bridge closed after cyclist dies in crash with bus
- Protesters rally over Sydney horses move
- Report 22 dead cats found in Tampa mans freezer
- Vintage Apple Computer Sells for $671400
- First Apple computer to fetch 250000 pounds in auction
- Video One of original Apple 1 computers sells for over $650000
- Fucntioning Apple computer from 1976 auctioned off for $668000
- One of Apple Inc.s first computers a functioning 1976 model sold for $668000
- Israel stunned by Hawking snub
- New space stethoscope helps assess astronauts in noisy spacecrafts
- New urine test technique helps detect breast cancer
- Missiles not meteorites on US-Russia agenda
- Theres space sex in Gravity jokes Sandra Bullock
- Former Bean Station TN police officer shot and killed pharmacy owner during pill robbery www.privateofficer.com
- Video FDA investigating Tenn. pharmacy distributor
- China Switzerland sign free-trade pact
- Tennessee Pharmacy Steroid Injections Recalled After Complications Arise
- Astellas Receives Marketing Authorisation For Vesomnitm From The Netherlands Medicines Evaluation Board
Subscribe to our Newsletter
Get the latest Bangladesh Sun headlines delivered to your inbox.
- Bangladesh allows transit for foodgrains for northeast India
- Opposition parties enforce strike in Bangladesh
- Bangladeshs lifeline faces safety probe
- Bangladesh mull new anti-corruption law
- The dark side of Japanese fashion made in Bangladesh