DHAKA - A high level US delegation led by the State Department's Under Secretary for Political Affairs Wendy Sherman will visit Bangladesh this weekend to press for a major overhaul of labour safety regulations following the nation's deadliest industrial accident, an official said Wednesday. The collapse of a nine-storey factory complex housing several garment units outside the capital last ...
Kolkata recently hosted a meeting on Tuesday to discuss measures that needs to be taken to increase cross border trade with Bangladesh. Amit Kumar Roy, Commissioner of Customs said that expectations were high as India considered Bangladesh a friendly and compliant neighbour. "Compared to other countries, compared to Pakistan etc, Bangladesh is very friendly and very compliant. They are very ...
For the first time, Tesco, one of the largest retailers in the world, opened the doors to its factory in Bangladesh. ITV News visited a production center said to be ethically run. It manufactures many of the 40 million garments made in Bangladesh every year for the supermarket giant Tesco. ITV's Laura Kuennsberg ...
- Fahima Begum rises each morning at dawn and walks two kilometres to a small pond, the nearest source of fresh water.On her way she passes the rusty old hand-pumped tube well that used to supply water to her village in Bangladesh's arid Barind region until the water table here dropped out of ...
DHAKA, Bangladesh ...
For Tangled, their 50th animated feature, Disney Animation has turned to Rapunzel, one of the last fairy tales that has not been given the big-screen Mouse House overhaul. Keeping only the slightest vestiges of the original Brothers Grimm story (including a few choice moments in which cha ... ...
THE head of an official inquiry into the deadly collapse of a Bangladesh factory complex says the building's owner was the "main culprit" for the disaster because he violated construction codes. The cave-in of the nine-storey Rana Plaza outside the capital last month killed more than 1100 workers in the country's worst industrial disaster. "He (owner Sohel Rana) is the main ...
The head of an official inquiry into the collapse of a Bangladesh factory complex said Wednesday the building's owner was the "main culprit" in the disaster because he violated building ...
SAVAR, Bangladesh (AFP) - Mamun was hailed a hero for pulling survivors from the ruins of Bangladesh's Rana Plaza factory complex but now he struggles to sleep, haunted by the memory of sawing off a young woman's hand."I had never even touched the hand of a woman before but it was the only way to save her and the others," said the 22-year-old in an interview ahead of the ...
A US government delegation will visit Bangladesh this weekend to press for a major overhaul of factory safety following the nation's deadliest industrial accident, an official said ...
A month after the deadly factory collapse in Bangladesh, that killed more than a thousand people, ITV News visited one of the factories in Dhaka that makes clothing for the west. ITV's Laura Kuenssberg ...
They said it
Nothing will ever completely replace playing the game I love, however I feel like I'm starting a new adventure and I'm genuinely excited about what lies ahead. I'm fortunate to have been given many opportunities throughout my career and now I feel it's my time to give back.
The world's best known footballer was speaking after formally announcing his retirement.
Wrest Point Hotel & Casino, Hobart, Australia
This 4 star hotel, casino and entertainment complex is situated on the foreshores of Sandy Bay in Hobart, the capital ...Keep reading
Record Your Vote
Do you take the threat of North Korea seriously?
Bangladesh SunBangladesh Sun - Authoritative Bangladesh News Source
Newspapers the world over strive to provide readers with the ultimate news coverage.
The Bangladesh Sun is no exception.
As an online news service we have advantages over traditional newspapers in that stories can be added and updated 24 hours day.
Our objective is to provide the most comprehensive Bangladesh news available, from our resources, contracted wire services and an inventory of some thousands of sources comprising newspapers, cable and TV networks, radio stations, public broadcasters, NGOs and others, Bangladesh news is a priority.
National news comes first. We do however strive to provide a complete news services for our readers. World news headlines top several of our pages, we also provide news on what's happening in business, and in the financial markets.
Whether it's the latest Nikkei 225 reading in Tokyo, the sterling exchange rate in London, or the status of the Nasdaq in New York, whether it's local Bangladesh news, the weather forecast for Bangladesh you'll find it all in the Bangladesh Sun.
From Dhaka to Chattagam, the Bangladesh Sun should be your number one choice for breaking news - local, regional, and national.
DHAKA - A high level US delegation led by the State Department's Under Secretary for Political Affairs Wendy Sherman will visit Bangladesh this weekend to press for a major overhaul of labour safety regulations following the nation's deadliest industrial accident, an official said Wednesday.
The collapse of a nine-storey factory complex housing several garment units outside the capital last month killing 1,127 workers has brought to fore the appalling safety conditions in Bangladesh's 4,500 garment factories.
During the two-day visit, the US delegations will meet officials in the Bangladesh government.
"They'll talk about labour law reforms and what is the best way to proceed," US ambassador Dan Mozena told reporters here Wednesday.
"They'll talk about fire safety standards -- a minimum standard for every factory. They'll talk about minimum structural soundness standards," he said.
If the proposals are accepted, "it will become the largest 'better work' programme in history", he said.
US firms are among the leading garment importers from Bangladesh, which has emerged as the largest garments manufacturing hub after China. Ahead of the US move, the European brands have already made it clear that unless the work conditions are improved they would stop procuring garments from Bangladesh, while EU has threatened to stop the liberal trade policy accorded to the Asian nation. ...
- April sees Japan trade deficit jump to 879.9bn yen
- PRECIOUS-Gold slides as Fed chief hints at reduced bond buying
- REFILE-Panasonic to stop making silicon wafers at Oregon factory-Nikkei
- Asian Markets Rally after Fed Reassurance on Bond-Buying
- Markets end winning streak
- Justin Bieber abandons pet monkey
- Versaces new collection features dresses and mini skirts for men
- New evidence supports theory of cosmic impact 12800 years ago
- New Discovery series brings scenes of North American wildlife to
- Horses seized from East Knox farm where abuse happened before
- Work starts on creation of new Dubai island
- Murofushi loses appeal in IOC member election
- ESPN layoffs 7000 workers as TV rights fees rise
- Microsoft launches all-in-one home entertainment system Xbox One
- Cannes-Fashion Photos Robert Redford Suits Up and Sports Illustrated Model Irina Shayk Bares Skin on the Croisette
- Appin Security emerging as support structure to reduce information security deficit
- AusCERT 2013 Police urge banks to install ATM chip technology
- In Pictures Twitter’s 10 most antisocial celebrities
- Would you pay $US30 for a waterproof Android smartphone
- Twitter aims to become safer with two-step sign-in
- UN urges collective efforts to achieve water secure world on Day for Biological Diversity
- Vitamin C kills drug-resistant TB bacteria
- New blood-donation rules put damage control ahead of sound science
- After science bomb student wants back
- Dallas reportedly will shop pick save cap space
- Breakthrough research shows Vit C kills drug resistant TB
- Vitamin C kills drug-resistant TB bacteria
- Drugs found to prevent and treat Alzheimers in mice
- Powder and Liquid Processing System
- Pharmacy compounding reform bill headed to Senate floor
Subscribe to our Newsletter
Get the latest Bangladesh Sun headlines delivered to your inbox.
- US delegation to urge labour reforms in Bangladesh
- Kolkata hosts meet to enhance bilateral trade ties with Bangladesh
- British firms face ethical dilemmas in Bangladesh
- Fresh Water “More Precious Than Gold” in Bangladesh
- Report on Bangladesh Building Collapse Finds Widespread Blame