DHAKA, Bangladesh // The High Court in Bangladesh's capital asked authorities yesterday to prevent the owner of a garment factory where 112 people died in a fire last year from leaving the country, a lawyer said. The High Court made the request in response to a petition seeking the arrest of Delwar Hossain, the owner of Tazreen Fashions Ltd. It also asked authorities to bring Hossain ...
Dutch high street brands Hema, Zeeman, Prenatal and Coolcat have not signed an agreement to improve safety and working conditions for textile workers in Bangladesh, according to the final list of signatories published online. C&A, V&D, G-Star and WE have signed up to ...
Bangladesh's top court on Sunday ordered police to prevent the owner of a garmentfactory that catered to top Western retailers from leaving the country, six months after 111 of his employees died in a ...
Delwar Hossain, owner of the Tazreen Fashions garment factory, where 112 workers died in a devastating fire last month, speaks during an interview at the office of the Bangladesh Garment Manufacturers & Exporters Association (BGMEA) in Dhaka November 29, ...
Bangladeshi authorities have announced a one-month ban on political rallies to facilitate relief operations after Cyclone Mahasen.'It is not possible to protect the fundamental rights like holding meetings and rallies when the country was hit by a natural disaster,' Local Government and Cooperatives Minister Syed Ashraful Islam told reporters in the capital Dhaka.The category-one ...
Hidalgo has much in common with Edward Zwicks The Last Samurai, as both are set near the end of the 19th century and are about Americans who, resentful of their governments treatment of Native Americans, find personal redemption in the East. While Tom Cruises Nathan ... ...
Nearly three weeks after a Bangladesh garment-factory building collapsed, the search for the dead ended yesterday at the site of the worst disaster in the history of the global garment industry. The death toll hit 1,127. Mohammed Amir Hossain Mazumder, deputy director of fire service and civil defense, said search for bodies from the April 24 collapse was called off at 6pm. Bulldozers and other ...
Fair trade labels might help consumers decide on ethical purchases The hottest date at the global retail real estate conference that starts Sunday in Las Vegas is Uniqlo. That's because Uniqlo is one of the three "big hitters" in retail right now, says Faith Hope Consolo, chairman of Douglas Elliman Real Estate's retail group, along with Sweden-based chain H&M and British ...
Accord on Fire and Building Safety in Bangladesh (pdf) lays out a new factory inspection program and calls for companies that sign to underwrite any renovations needed to bring their suppliers up to established safety standards. Here is a visual explanation of the accord: More from ...
They said it
Nothing will ever completely replace playing the game I love, however I feel like I'm starting a new adventure and I'm genuinely excited about what lies ahead. I'm fortunate to have been given many opportunities throughout my career and now I feel it's my time to give back.
The world's best known footballer was speaking after formally announcing his retirement.
Millennium Hotel, Queenstown, New Zealand
I've reviewed this hotel before, and found it one of my favourites in New Zealand. Queenstown is located in the ...Keep reading
Record Your Vote
Do you take the threat of North Korea seriously?
Bangladesh SunBangladesh Sun - Authoritative Bangladesh News Source
Newspapers the world over strive to provide readers with the ultimate news coverage.
The Bangladesh Sun is no exception.
As an online news service we have advantages over traditional newspapers in that stories can be added and updated 24 hours day.
Our objective is to provide the most comprehensive Bangladesh news available, from our resources, contracted wire services and an inventory of some thousands of sources comprising newspapers, cable and TV networks, radio stations, public broadcasters, NGOs and others, Bangladesh news is a priority.
National news comes first. We do however strive to provide a complete news services for our readers. World news headlines top several of our pages, we also provide news on what's happening in business, and in the financial markets.
Whether it's the latest Nikkei 225 reading in Tokyo, the sterling exchange rate in London, or the status of the Nasdaq in New York, whether it's local Bangladesh news, the weather forecast for Bangladesh you'll find it all in the Bangladesh Sun.
From Dhaka to Chattagam, the Bangladesh Sun should be your number one choice for breaking news - local, regional, and national.
DHAKA - Bangladesh has re-opened hundreds of garment factories after just three days of closure following protests over pay and poor work conditions.
The Bangladesh Garment Manufacturers and Exporters Association had called for the re-opening on Friday.
The shutdown of factories this week was prompted by worker protests over low pay and poor working conditions sparked by the country's worst industrial accident.
In response to workers' demands, the Bangladeshi government has approved labor law changes, making it easier for workers to form unions. The government has also set up a panel to consider garment workers salary raise.
Pope Francis has described the garment workers' $38 monthly wage as "slave labor."
Bangladesh is the world's second largest apparel maker after China. The $20 billion industry accounts for up to 80 per cent of annual exports.
The Bangladesh Garment Manufacturers' and Exporters' Association says about 85% of employees were back at work. They will get overtime for working on a Friday, a weekend day in Bangladesh.
The manufacturers have accused the workers of disrupting production and say they will not pay wages for the last few days.
Badrul Alam, police chief for the Ashulia district, told the Agence France Presse news agency that there had been "no reports of any protest or violence" after the reopening. ...
- Gold prices slump for seventh straight day
- Gold tarnished as Fed discusses end of easing
- Markets extend bullish run
- Zhengzhou exchange may delay thermal coal futures
- Lock-up shares worth 22.79 bln yuan eligible for trade
- Dubai moves to stop ivory tusk smuggling
- Gallery Annual sheep drive bleats a path to town
- Dogs give comfort — and controversy — in court
- Tigers outlast Lions in interleague slugfest
- Video Erin Murphys family pets
- Financial paper hacked by Syrians
- Yahoo board agrees to take Tumblr for $1.1B
- Bitcoiners rally to enlighten Washington
- Bitcoins Rollercoaster Ride is Not Slowing Down
- Two small quakes rumble off California coast
- Britains first astronaut to go on space mission in 2015
- Rodents return to Earth after space flight
- Moon meteor blast visible to naked eye on Earth says NASA
- Darker skin also prone to skin cancer
- Astronomers Awaiting Comet ISONs Year-End Spectacular
- Thai phone operators told to lower charges
- Google boss Eric Schmidt defends British tax affairs
- Incorrect tax withholding most frequent payroll error EY
- Military Attack wins Singapore Airlines Cup to make it Hong Kongs night
- Brands Advertise Full-Force at Cannes
- New Pharmacy In Santee Free Countywide Delivery More
- Chamber of Pharmacy commends government
- Patient and physician prescribing information a powerful aide in drug marketing
- Neupro reduces PLMS and total NSBP elevations in patients with RLS study finds
Subscribe to our Newsletter
Get the latest Bangladesh Sun headlines delivered to your inbox.
- Factory owner banned from leaving Bangladesh
- Hema Zeeman dont sign Bangladesh textile industry safety deal
- Garment factory owner barred from leaving Bangladesh
- Bangladesh court orders action against factory owner in Nov fire
- Bangladesh has one-month ban on rallies